Mankind continues to face health threats characterized by ravaging epidemics, cancer, diabetes, spread of infectious diseases, high infant and maternal mortality rates, HIV/AIDS, low levels of life expectancy and above all, deteriorating healthcare facilities, which work under stress without adequate maintenance routines and regular servicing, leading to poor and inadequate health service delivery systems, especially in Low Income Countries.
The department of Biomedical Sciences and Engineering produces proficient scientists who use the principles of engineering and life sciences and conduct research on the biological aspects of human and animal life, design instruments, devices and software, and bring together knowledge from many technical sources to solve clinical problems.
Our goal is to prepare students/researchers to be leaders and innovators in integrating engineering and biology for detecting and treating human disease, addressing public health challenges and being key prayers in rehabilitation for sustainable health care for developing countries. A unique aspect of our program is how we engage scholars in intensive research using design thinking principles to discover the health challenges and the medical course offered to introduce them to the medical field.
The BME is a full time 4 years’ programme. Admission to the Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering is done in accordance with Mbarara University procedures and regulations. In addition, a person qualifies for admission on meeting any one of the following minimum requirements.
- Direct Entry Requirement: Holders of the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education should have two principal passes one of which must be in either Physics or Mathematics two subsidiary passes in either Chemistry or Biology obtained at the same sitting and at least a credit in Mathematics at UCE.
- Diploma Entry Requirement: For Diploma entry he/she should be a holder of; (a) Diploma in Engineering, or (b) a diploma in a relevant Medical Technology (Radiography, Laboratory Technology, Orthopedic Technology, ENT clinical or the equivalent) or other diplomas approved by the University to be equivalent to any of those stated in part (a) and (b).
The department engages the students in research throughout their study. The students carry out group projects in Year 3 and Year 4. Students can submit their own concepts, identify health challenges during the design module’s clinical immersion or join any of the existing research in the department based on the department’s research agenda and the student’s research interests.
The department has 5 Research groups which were formed in line with the department’s mission, vision and expertise. Students can join any of the following research groups.
- Medical Imaging Unit
- Artificial Intelligence Lab
- Imaging modalities Lab
- Medical Devices Unit
- Rehabilitation Engineering Lab
- Mechanobiology Unit
- Computer Based Biomedical Systems Unit
- Biomedical Data science Lab
- Telemedicine Lab
- Health care technology management Unit
The department currently runs the following programs.
- BSc. Biomedical Engineering
- PhD. Biomedical Engineering
The department is also yet to start the following programs.
- BSc. Biomedical Sciences
- MSc. Biomedical Engineering
- PGD. Health care Technology Management (Distant Learning Module)