University of Calgary, 2021-2023
PhD – Petroleum Engineering
University of Calgary, 2020
MSc – Petroleum Engineering
University Technology Malaysia (UTM), 2015
BSc – Agricultural Engineering
Makerere University, 2013
In my current research, I have developed state of the art methods for the in-situ formation of multi-metallic nanoparticles in a heavy oil matrix so they can be used as catalysts to enhance oil recovery. Having recently established several robust methods to produce potentially game-changing nanomaterials, I look forward to starting an exciting phase of research that will focus more on (EOR), carbon dioxide capture and storage, reservoir simulation, modelling, and characterizations. I aim to integrate more conventional EOR practices with the addition of nanoparticles to enhance their performance. For example, during my PhD research, I found out that the performance of Low salinity water(LSW) can be improved by incorporating surface-modified/grafted nanoparticles as new “additives.” Owing to their unique features like high surface area per volume, dispersibility, and surface functionalities, nanoparticles could impact several mechanisms when combined with conventional EOR processes that can include mobility control, asphaltene disaggregation, interfacial tension (IFT) reduction, and wettability alteration, hence improving the sweep and displacement efficiency. Also, currently working on unlocking heavy oil recovery using nanoparticle grafted surfactant with the aid of computer Tomography(CT) and Nuclear magnetic resonance(NMR) under the guidance of professor Apostolos Kantzas at the University of Calgary.
In my past research, I have also focused on understanding 1) the surface and interfacial behaviour of systems comprised of polymers/surfactants and naturally derived nanoparticles by measuring the dynamic interfacial tension and dilatational viscoelasticity using a drop profile analysis tensiometer, and 2) the kinetics and mechanism of asphaltene removal by adsorbent on grafted silicate-based nanofluid, with excellent selectivity and affinity towards asphaltene, using three complementary techniques; namely: quartz crystal microbalance with dissipation (QCM-D), dynamic light scattering (DLS), and contact angle measurements. All this work has resulted in peer-reviewed manuscripts that have already been published in various prestigious journals. This has given me proper training for my future grants and proposal writing and applications.
Dr. Farad is also part of a team that is assessing the potential of wind energy and designing a novel wind blade which is both efficient in performance and environmentally friendly in its life cycle.
In 2013, I was offered to work as a teaching assistant in the department of chemical and petroleum engineering at the University of Technology Malaysia (UTM). For all the classes, I participated in the preparation of teaching material, preparation of labs for students, taking students for field trips, evaluation of class assignments, homework, and exams. During my PhD studies degree at the University of Calgary, I worked as a TA for different courses interacting with both undergraduate and Graduate students working as teaching assistant in the department of chemical and petroleum Engineering:
Some of the courses taught include;
Fundamentals of engineering, thermodynamics, Introduction to petroleum Engineering, water flooding, Natural gas processing, Experimental Design, Secondary and Tertiary oil recovery, Reservoir engineering, Drilling Engineering, well completions, Production Engineering, Applied Geophysics, HSE for oil and gas, Reservoir characterization, Engineering, Economics and Well testing.
Goggle scholar: Dr: Farad Sagala – Google Scholar
- Farad Sagala, Afif Hethnawi, Nashaat N. Nassar, Integrating Silicate-based Nanoparticles with Low Salinity Water Flooding for Enhanced Oil Recovery in Sandstone Reservoirs – – Published in Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2020.https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.0c02326.
- Farad Sagala, Afif Hethnawi, Nashaat N. Nassar, Hydroxyl silicate-based nanofluids for Enhanced oil recovery – Published in Fuel, 2020.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2020.117462.
- Farad Sagala, Tatiana Montoya, Afif Hethnawi, Gerardo Vitale, and Nashaat N. Nassar, Nanopyroxene-based Nanofluids for Enhanced Oil Recovery in Sandstones Cores– Published in the Energy & Fuels Journal, 2019.https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.8b03749.
- Mousa Taleb, Farad Sagala, Afif Hethnawi, Nashaat N. Nassar: Enhanced Oil Recovery from Austin Chalk Carbonate Reservoirs Using Faujasite-Based Nanoparticles Combined with Low-Salinity Water Flooding,2020. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.0c02324.
- Influence of critical parameters on nanoparticles-surfactant stabilized CO2 foam stability at sub-critical and supercritical conditions. –Nurudeen Yekeen, TanXin Kun, Ahmed Al-Yaseri, Farad Sagala, Ahmad Kamal Idris, – Published in Journal of Molecular Liquids (2021)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2021.116658 1/5.
- Allan Katende and Farad Sagala, A Critical review of Low Salinity Water Flooding: Mechanism, Laboratory and Field Application.– Allan Katende and Farad Sagala, Published in the Journal of Molecular Liquids, 2019.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2019.01.037.
- Wong J Yeu, Allan Katende, Farad Sagala and Issham Ismail, Improving Hole Cleaning using Low-Density Polyethylene Beads at Different Mud Circulation Rates in Different Hole Angles.– Published in the Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 2018.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse. 11.012.
- Nor Fatin Fatihah Majid, Allan Katende, Isham Ismail, Farad Sagala, Norshila Md Sharif and Azizi Che Yunus, A Comprehensive Investigation on the Performance of Durian Rind as a Lost Circulation Material in Water-Based Drilling Mud.– Published in the Journal of Petroleum, 2018.https: //doi.org/10.1016/j.petlm.2018.10.004.
- Hadyan Hakim, Allan Katende, Farad Sagala, Issham Ismail and Hussein Nsamba, Performance of polyethene and polypropylene beads towards drill cuttings transportation in a horizontal wellbore– Published in the Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering,2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j. petrol.2018.01.075.
- Nur Ain Binti Mohd Anuar, Mat Hussin Yunan, Farad Sagala and Allan Katende. The Effect of WAG Ratio and Oil Density on Oil Recovery by Immiscible Water Alternating Gas Flooding — Published in the American Association of Science and Technology,2017, http://article.aascit.org/file/ pdf/9021048.pdf.
- Tan Tin Yi, Issham Ismail, Allan Katende, Farad Sagala and John Mugisa, Experimental Investigation of Cuttings Lifting Efficiency Using Low- and High-Density Polyethylene Beads in Different Hole Angles— Published in the Journal of Materials Sciences and Applications,2017, http://article. org/file/pdf/8910898.pdf.
- Farad Sagala, Muhammad A. Manan, Hussein Kisiki Nsamba, Wan Mohammad Kamal Bin Wan Jaafar, Kabenge Isa, Wasswa Joseph, Enhancing Oil Recovery Using Formulated Surfactants Extracted from Oil Palm and Local Coconut Coir Containing Lignosulfonate. — Published in the American Association of Science and Technology,2016, http://article.aascit.org/file/pdf/8960840.pdf
- Farad Sagala, Hussein Kisiki Nsamba, Hussein Kisiki Nsamba, Al Hassan A. Ibrahim Makera, Wasswa Joseph, Isa Kabenge, Effect of pH and Slug Ratio of Alkaline Surfactant Polymer Alternating Gas Flooding on Oil Recovery — Published in the American Association of Science and Technology,2016, http://article.aascit.org/file/pdf/8960841.pdf.
- Farad Sagala, John Mugisa, Hussein A. Alahdal, Ahmad Kamal Idris, Nsamba Hussein Kisiki & Isa Kabenge, Effect of wettability on oil recovery and breakthrough time for immiscible gas flooding– Published in the Journal of Petroleum Science and Technology,2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/ 2016.1219747.
- John Mugisa, G. W. Nyakairu and Farad Sagala, Synthesis of Na-zeolite on the Basis of Dual Cation/Anion Exchange Capacity with Regeneration Capabilities — Published in the Journal of Materials Sciences and Applications,2016, http://article.aascit.org/file/pdf/8910848.pdf
- A. Manan, S. Farad, A. Piroozian and M. J. A. Esmail, Effects of Nanoparticle Types on Carbon Dioxide Foam Flooding in Enhanced Oil Recovery– Published in the Journal of Petroleum Science and Technology,2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/10916466.2015.1057593
- Allan Katende, Boshkiran Segar, Farad Sagala, Issham Ismail, Halimatun H. A. R. Saadiah and Ariffin Samsuri, The Effect of Drill–Pipe Rotation on Improving Hole Cleaning using Polypropylene Beads in Water-Based Mud at Different Hole Angles.– Published in the Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13202-019-00815-1
- Nursyafiqah S. M Heshamudin, Allan Katende, Issham Ismail, Halimatun H. A. R. Saadiah, Farad Sagala, and Ariffin Samsuri, Experimental Investigation of the Effect of Drill Pipe Rotation on Improving Hole Cleaning using Water-based Mud Enriched with Polypropylene Beads in Vertical and Horizontal Wellbores.– published in the Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2019.04.086.
- Katende, A., Boyou, N. V., Ismail, I., Chung, D. Z., Sagala, F., Hussein, N., & Ismail, M. S. (2019). Improving the performance of oil based mud and water based mud in a high temperature hole using nanosilica nanoparticles. Colloids and surfaces a: physicochemical and engineering aspects, 577, 645-673.
- Yekeen, N., Kun, T. X., Al-Yaseri, A., Sagala, F., & Idris, A. K. (2021). Influence of critical parameters on nanoparticles-surfactant stabilized CO2 foam stability at sub-critical and supercritical conditions. Journal of Molecular Liquids, 338, 116658.
- Sefatallah Ashooriana, Farad Sagala, Afif Henthawia, Aliyar Javadib, Nashaat N. Nassara Evaluation of Faujasite Based Nanoparticle: Surfactant Interactions at Oil/Water Interface via Dynamic Interfacial Characterization: submitted to Applied nanomaterials ACS January 2021.
- Farad Sagala, Mousa Taleb, and Nashaat N. Nassar* Application of Surfactant-free Aluminum Silicate based Nanofluids for Enhanced Oil Recovery from Austin Chalk Carbonate Reservoirs-Submitted in Petroleum Science and Engineering, 2020.
- Farad Sagala, Afif Hethnawi, and Nashaat N. Nassar: Physical mixing vs grafting of surfactant supported alumina silicate nanoparticles for Foam application during Enhanced oil Recovery, in progress in progress.
List of Book Chapters
- Farad Sagala, Nashaat N. Nassar* Challenges and Uncertainties of Using Nanoparticles in Oil and Gas Applications: subchapter submitted to springer nature publisher for the book titled: Nanotechnology for Enhancing In-Situ Recovery and Upgrading of Oil and Gas Processing published by Springer Nature.
- Farad Sagala, Nashaat N. Nassar; Nanoparticles for Drilling, Cementing, Hydraulic Fracturing and well stimulation Fluids. subchapter submitted to springer nature publisher for the book titled: Nanotechnology for Enhancing In-Situ Recovery and Upgrading of Oil and Gas Processing published by Springer Nature.
- Farad Sagala, Tatiana Montoya, Afif Hethnawi, Gerardo Vitale, and Nashaat N. Nassar Nanoparticles as Potential Agents for Enhancing Oil Recovery: subchapter submitted to springer nature publisher for the book titled: Nanotechnology for Enhancing In-Situ Recovery and Upgrading of Oil and Gas Processing published by Springer Nature.
- Yazan Mheibesh, Farad Sagala, and Nashaat N. Nassar; Using Nanoparticles as Gas Foam Stabilizing Agents for Enhanced Oil Recovery Applications: subchapter submitted to springer nature publisher for the book titled: Nanotechnology for Enhancing In-Situ Recovery and Upgrading of Oil and Gas Processing published by Springer Nature.